The Newcastle Trades Hall Council Workers Club (a.k.a. the ‘Red Inn’, ‘Newcastle Workers Co-operative Club’, and ‘The Newcastle Workers Club’) opened in Newcastle on the 8 October 1948.
The Club was granted its License shortly after the Liquor Act was amended in 1946 to allow alcohol to be served after 6pm.
The Club played a prominent role in the Union of Registered Workers Clubs in the 50s and 60s, and helped other Hunter area clubs organise to obtain licences. It was a major institution of the Labor movement in the Newcastle region, and played a significant role in organising and staging community events and support for workers and their families.
The Newcastle Workers Club archives are a comprehensive collection of the Club’s records from its beginnings in 1948 through to its corporate transformation in 1997.
The Collection includes Minutes of Board and Management Committee meetings (incl. those of the Newcastle Trades Hall Council 1974 – 1984), detailed financial records, photographs, journals, record books of musical and sporting events, and various club memorabilia (e.g. badges, members books).
The Collection also includes material relating to the 1989 Newcastle earthquake – during which the Club was seriously damaged and a number of people lost their lives – including photographs of the damage and transcripts of the subsequent coronial inquest.
The Records of The Newcastle Workers (Co-operative) Club were deposited by Mr Bob Phillips (author of ‘The Red Inn: The First Fifty Years of the Newcastle Workers Club’ and accessioned in May 2007 by Mr Peter Gray-Brattan.
The listing of this archival collection was made possible by the kind generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.